Skilled Legal Advocacy for Victims of Abuse
We Can Use the Utmost Discretion to Protect You and Your Family.
ARE YOU A VICTIM OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE?
PUNTA GORDA FAMILY LAWYERS
If you are suffering from abuse at the hands of your spouse, partner, or another family member, it is important to understand that there are options available. Whether you are frequently victimized or the violence you sustained was a one-time occurrence, you deserve the advocacy of a family attorney in Punta Gorda. We can help you understand your options and help you take action to protect yourself and your children or other loved ones from further abuse.
TYPES OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN FLORIDA
Domestic violence of any nature is used by the perpetrator to gain power or control over the victim. Although every situation is different, there are five main types of abuse that occur during domestic violence situations.
Different Forms of Domestic Abuse
- Physical Abuse: The use of physical force (such as hitting, kicking, choking, shoving, etc.) against a victim that injures them or puts them in risk of injury.
- Emotional Abuse: This abuse can be nonverbal and can include constant criticism or the use of degrading language toward the victim, or refusing to let them make their own decisions.
- Sexual Abuse: Unwanted and forced sexual contact or acts, which are often linked to physical abuse; these types of abuse can occur at the same time or subsequent to each other.
- Financial Abuse: This abuse can include forcing the victim to work or refusing to allow them to work, withholding resources, stealing from the victim, using their name to incur debt, or any behavior that forces the victim to be financially dependent upon the perpetrator.
- Spiritual Abuse: Involves anything that impacts the victim’s ability to feel good about themselves or stops the victim from accomplishing something they want to do; can include forbidding the victim from practicing religious, cultural, or moral beliefs, or making the victim give up something.
SKILLED LEGAL ADVOCACY FOR VICTIMS OF ABUSE
If you are the victim of any type of abuse, do not hesitate to contact our firm. We understand the seriousness of your situation, and our attorneys can assist you in protecting yourself and your loved ones. Regardless of the specifics of your situation, there are options available to help you, such as filing for a restraining order. If you would like to press charges against the perpetrator, we can provide you with counsel and advocate for your best interests before the courts. We know that these circumstances are very complex and sensitive, and we can use the utmost discretion to protect you and your family and assist you in taking legal action to stop the abuse.
Contact a Punta Gorda family attorney from our team today to discuss your case or take a few moments to fill out a free case evaluation form.